Monday, April 20, 2009

Testing Our Limits

I get "Daily Gems" sent to my email each day, from LDS.org
Today's was just perfect for me...and couldn't have come at a better time.
So I thought I would share:

"[The] testing of our limits...is made necessary by God's plan to qualify His children to live with Him again forever. Heavenly Father loves His children. He offered us eternal life, to live with Him again in families and in glory forever. To qualify us to receive that gift, He gave us a mortal body, the opportunity to be tempted to sin, and a way to be cleansed from that sin and to rise in the First Resurrection. He gave us His Beloved Son, Jehovah, as our Savior to make that possible. The Savior was born in mortal life, was tempted but never sinned, and then in Gethsemane and on Golgotha paid the price of our sins so that we could be cleansed. The purifying can come only to those who have faith enough in Jesus Christ to repent of sin, be cleansed through the ordinance of baptism, and make and keep covenants to obey all His commandments. And there was to be a fierce enemy of our souls, Lucifer, who would with his legions relentlessly try to capture every child of God to keep him or her from having the joy of eternal life."

Henry B. Eyring, "O Ye That Embark," Ensign, Nov. 2008, 57

I just think it's awesome to be reminded of what we are really doing here on this earth. of what's important. and really, what else matters? what is more important than this??

3 comments:

Tina said...

Hello,

I want to thank you.

Last September, I Googled images for Sherandoah Lake, looking for some pictures to add to my tribute post celebrating my sister's birthday. Up popped your May 31, 2008 pictures. They reminded me so much of when my mother would take us to the lake when we were very young (1960s). I quickly noticed that you had references on your sidebar that led me to believe you were a member of the LDS Church. I was drawn in. Before I go on, I should offer you some assurance that I'm somewhat sane (and hopefully dissuade you of possible concerns voiced by our daughter's accusations that I'm stalking your blog)... I'm confident that the following people will vouch for me: Dick and Giana Miller, Gary and Bonnie Bradley, the 832 adult Teerlinks, among others... I joined the Church in Waynesboro in 1974, graduated from WHS, attended BYU, met my love while we were serving as W-boro Stake SA reps, married in the DC Temple, and now live in Oxford, Mississippi.

So, as to my gratitude: I've checked back into your blog maybe three times since last Fall, usually when I was a bit homesick for the Waynesboro area; and each time, within minutes I've found something uplifting and very inspiring. First of all, your family is darling! But, I really appreciate your testimony. The first time I peeked in, you had just posted your Bonds That Make Us Free book review. This evening, I was missing our daughter (first day of Summer Trimester at BYU-I); so, I surfed my favorite blog sites and thought of yours...I loved this "Daily Gems" post: a great FHE thought, thank you very much. But I was also intrigued by your NieNie button...I spent the balance of my evening feeling very blessed and a bit saddened by my selfishness over trivial trials, while reading about the Nielson's courage and recovery. So, thank you, Sister Roper. My perspective has been adjusted, my options reevaluated, my determination for valiant effort rekindled, and I'm inspired to reveal some more of the unabated flair of my divine nature!

I consider it serendipity that I found your blog, and perhaps a new friend. Please take in a deep breath of the mountain for me the next time it comes into your view. You live in a blessed part of this very small world!

Thanks again,
Christina (Tina ) Cross Davis

GrowingRopers said...

Tina, Thank you for your kind words. It's a beautiful thing when we can help uplift eachother. It was nice to start my day with your comment :) I tried to get to your blog, but couldn't...wanna invite me? :) eabroper{at}gmail{dot}com

SumGreater said...

Wow. How awesome was that comment from Tina? I tell you all the time you're better than you think you are. It's nice to have some backup telling you you're great and insightful. See what a good influence you're having in the world? I love you.